[tei-council] Attributes in no namespace

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Sun Dec 29 19:26:27 EST 2013

XPath suggests we don't use it in the Guidelines, assuming this XPath works:

//*:egXML[descendant::*/@rend[namespace-uri(.) != '']]

It finds nothing, while this:

//*:egXML[descendant::*/@rend[namespace-uri(.) = '']]

finds 108 items.

Assuming we don't use it, I'm very glad, because it means we could
quietly retire that piece of the chapter. Assuming I'm right about this.

This goes one step further towards convincing me that the whole idea
that unprefixed namespaces are in the empty string namespace is a
disastrous flaw in the design of XML.