[tei-council] list types and rends: bug 460

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at it.ox.ac.uk
Sun Dec 22 12:44:07 EST 2013

On 22 Dec 2013, at 15:19, Martin Holmes <mholmes at uvic.ca> wrote:

> On the point that the rest of the world uses the "ordered" vs "unordered" distinction, outside of HTML (which I think got this wrong, although the decision was made before CSS existed), what other standards use those terms? XSL:FO doesn't (it relies on fo:list-item-label, which can be a bullet or a number). ODF (on which I'm no expert, so correct me if I'm wrong) uses text:list-level-style-number> alongside text:list-level-style-bullet>

true. Docbook is the one I was thinking of apart from HTML. I see it uses “itemised” and “ordered”. they also use
“simple” for "An undecorated list of single words or short phrases”

> On balance, I still prefer "numbered", but another possibility would be "enumerated" -- is that actually different, and if it is, would it be better?

no, leave as “numbered”; “enumerated” will just cause argument.

Docbook has a nice description: "orderedlist — A list in which each entry is marked with a sequentially incremented label”

> I'm going to turn this into a formal proposal on the wiki; it's obviously not going into the next release, because the stylesheets obviously have to be ready at the same time as the Glines changes.

thats OK, if we agreed on it far enough in advance. it would only be a few hours work.

if you’re working on it in bored moments between the sprouts and the pudding, having a test/example file would be be no bad thing,
showing all the possibilities.

> On the question of handling old values in the Stylesheets, I think we have to, at least for a while; people will scream instantly if @type values we've been recommending for many years suddenly don't work properly with a new release of the Stylesheets. This brings up the possibility of deprecation in the Stylesheets, of course.

yes. i don’t know where to start, though, in implementing this….
Director (Research) of Academic IT
University of Oxford IT Services