[tei-council] Release guidelines

Peter Stadler stadler at edirom.de
Fri Dec 6 09:15:40 EST 2013

Hi Martin,

sorry for skipping some relevant parts:
The XML files within [1] include <?xml-model href="http://tei.oucs.ox.ac.uk/jenkins/job/TEIP5/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/release/xml/tei/odd/p5.nvdl“ …

So, the current release process simply tags those files with the release number and zips them for convenient download. Hence, within [2] (and the bundled release!) you’ll find these references and all these files don’t validate anymore due to the changes in the meantime.

Anyway, I think it’s a very good idea to freeze the repo and not continue work in any branch (if possible) during release preparations. I’m not proposing a branching philosophy à la gitflow, but simply

1. copy trunk to branches/release (and freeze trunk)
2. modify necessary stuff for the release in the release branch
3. create tags/release-x.x.x and the zip archive from the release branch
4. release the lock on trunk and delete branches/release

Regrettably I do not have any experience with Jenkins and can’t tell how to tell Jenkins to build from branches/release rather than trunk

Best
Peter

[1] https://sourceforge.net/p/tei/code/HEAD/tree/trunk/P5/Source/Specs/
[2] https://sourceforge.net/p/tei/code/HEAD/tree/tags/P5_release_2.5.0/Source/Specs/