[tei-council] proof of concept of i18n work

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at it.ox.ac.uk
Sun Nov 17 15:27:43 EST 2013

On 17 Nov 2013, at 19:08, Kevin Hawkins <kevin.s.hawkins at ultraslavonic.info> wrote:
> a) Add @versionDate to each <valDesc> (in addition to <desc>).  That way
> we'll be consistent in using @versionDate on all parts of our specs.
>
> b) Merge <valDesc>s into <desc> and just do away with them.
>
> My preference is (a).

the reason I suggested throwing them away is things like
	<valDesc>any string of characters</valDesc>
or
	<valDesc>a name of module</valDesc>
which just annoy me. There is certainly useful material
in there, but it needs a trawl.

but yes, adding in the @versionDate for the English
(and indeed for the French too, which are undated) would
be useful.

Running Utilities/addDateToGlossDesc.sh in the P5 source tree does the
job (though for sanities sake on might run it only on files which actually have
valDesc; that script takes a parameter ($1) which is the list of XML files
to operate on).

Note that the script generates a series of shell commands,
so usage (for just one file) looks like this:

	sh Utilities/addDateToGlossDesc.sh classCode.xml | sh

Someone may like to amuse themselves by running this for real,
for English and French, and checking the results do what is expected.
Director (Research) of Academic IT
University of Oxford IT Services