[tei-council] <listRef>s in specs for classes

Kevin Hawkins kevin.s.hawkins at ultraslavonic.info
Sat Nov 16 23:23:14 EST 2013

tcw20 does not explain how to use <listRef> when writing or editing a
spec.  For definitions of elements, we generally refer to one or more
chapters in which the element is discussed.  For definitions of element
or attribute classes, though, we seem to refer to the chapter
documenting the module that defines this element or attribute.

This, however, leads to some strange situations.  For example, the spec
for att.transcriptional has a <listRef> pointing to #ST, which discusses
the TEI infrastructure and happens to define att.transcriptional, rather
than to #PH, where these attributes are actually discussed.  I think
this problem is unique to #ST, which contains all sorts of things not
actually explained in that chapter.  But in the user interface it sends
the user to a chapter irrelevant to the class.

In cases like this, how do we feel about adding a second <listRef> to
point to the chapter where the elements or attributes in the class are
actually discussed?  Or actually removing the reference to #ST?

Whatever we decide, we should record this in tcw20.

Kevin