[tei-council] proof of concept of i18n work

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Thu Oct 31 11:55:00 EDT 2013

Lovely work indeed.

If you look at row 1648, there's an instance of another kind of problem
we've briefly discussed. The English <desc> for vRange is:

defines the range of allowed values for a feature, in the form of an
<gi>f</gi> to be valid, it must be subsumed by the specified range; if
the <gi>f</gi> contains multiple values (as sanctioned by the
<att>org</att> attribute), then each value must be subsumed by the
<gi>vRange</gi>.

The Italian, which is not marked as requiring update or review, is this:

definisce la gamma di valori ammessi per un tratto, sotto forma di un
fs, di un vAlt, o di valore primitivo; affinché il valore di un f sia
valido deve essere sussunto dalla gamma specificata; se f contiene
valori multipli (come sancito dall'attributo org) allora ogni valore
deve essere sussunto da vRange.

This doesn't include any of the <gi> tags in the English.

This instance is actually fixable by anyone at all -- you don't need to
know Italian to identify the tag names -- but other similar issues might
not be (<emph>, <soCalled>, etc.).

On 13-10-31 08:49 AM, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> see https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhciBT9b4XaZdFo4Mk1FMEFlSHNUUkxuZmFaR0xqenc&usp=drive_web#gid=0 now
>
> this takes into account the changes now being made to add a date to descriptions, and lets you
> see which translations (in this case, Italian) are missing (red), and which are older than the English equivalent
> (yellow)
>
> I’ll leave you to do your own analyses of the result. as ever, this isn’t easy….
> --
> Sebastian Rahtz
> Director (Research) of Academic IT
> University of Oxford IT Services