[tei-council] Electing a TEI Technical Council Chair for next year.

James Cummings James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk
Tue Oct 29 13:10:41 EDT 2013

Dear TEI Technical Council,

As you know in its desire to become more fully transparent and
representative body the TEI Consortium has moved to being wholly
elected and removed the position of institutional 'partners' on
the TEI Board.  Although I was originally elected to the Council
for the last year I've been 'Appointed' by the Board and I was
eager to do away with appointed positions and because the bylaws
were changing stood for election and was re-elected.

One of the tasks for the incoming TEI Technical Council for 2014
is to elect itself a chair as per the description at:
http://www.tei-c.org/About/bylaws.xml#body.1_div.3_div.3 which
says that:

"The Chair of the Technical Council shall be elected by the
voting Members of the TEI-C Technical Council from its membership
and shall serve as the chief technical officer of the Consortium.
If no Technical Council Member is able or willing to assume the
chair, the Technical Council may request the Board of Directors
to second one of its elected members to the role, or it may
nominate a non-elected individual."

The bylaws are intentionally vague on *how* we do this since they
wanted to leave it in control of the Council and Board to sort
themselves out and not be required to use any particular election
method. I would be interested in Council (new, returning, and
departing) coming to at least a vague consensus of how they think
this should take place.

I believe that we should have the election _before_ the end of
the year so that the new chair can start sorting out things for
next year, that we want a simple procedure (since we'll be
repeating this each year). I'm in favour of it being as open as
possible, but perhaps not until after the last vote is counted
(since we don't want one person's vote to influence others)?

Things I guess we need to know:
- Who from the new/returning group wishes to stand for election?
(I can tell them more about what it is like) I'm intending to
stand but equally don't want to discourage others if they are
keen to do it.

- Would something like a 'hidden poll' on Doodle be sufficient,
if the results (should it be who voted for who or just aggregate
numbers?) were posted publicly on the mailing after? An example
of one of those might look like
http://www.doodle.com/a9fqvskmq5mxexqn Would that be good enough?

- We need someone to act as the person to organise things (e.g.
the poll) and while I'd usually suggest this be the current
Council Chair I think there is a perceived conflict of interest
if someone intending to stand does this. (I'd be honest,
ya'know...of course, but it is about perception ;-) ) This could
be anyone on Council, but maybe someone from the existing Council
who is not returning? Or two people... etc.

I'd be interested in anyone's thoughts. If we can come to a vague
consensus of _how_ you want it to work then I'll put it on the
TEI-Council-FAQ.

-James

Dr James Cummings, James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk