[tei-council] working with translation

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Wed Oct 23 13:25:32 EDT 2013

On 13-10-23 09:32 AM, Lou Burnard wrote:
> On 23/10/13 16:47, Martin Holmes wrote:
>> Since those are presumably recent additions, their English versions
>> are probably less likely to be unsatisfactory.
>
> I see no reason at all to believe that. Au contraire, I would argue that
> the longer something has survived the more likely it is that it doesn't
> need correction. Survival of the least implausible is at least as likely
> a principle as your assumption that we always get things right the first
> time around!

I was assuming that older something is, the more likely it is to be
obsoleted by our shifting conceptions of how TEI should work, and by the
changing tag-ecosystem around it. But both scenarios make sense.

> But this is not really relevant to our current problem. My opinion
> remains that we should just ask for the gaps to be filled in the first
> instance. Any  other egregious errors that we note in passing can be
> fixed in the usual way.

I agree.

> I note also that for nearly all the things I've so far spotted which
> need fixing in the English, the fix is just to delete a sentence or a
> phrase that no longer seems necessary. Which is usually pretty easy to
> do for all translations at once.

I'd suggest you go ahead and fix everything you've noticed so far,
before we get started.

Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)