[tei-council] Council Teleconference Monday 21 October 4pm Oxford time.

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk
Mon Oct 21 10:09:49 EDT 2013

Following Sebastian's example, here's my brief report on the state of
things divliminal:

Ages ago, Paul kindly provided a sample of about 100 tops bottoms
middles and musical gobbets, in both GIF and TXT forms. Last time we
discussed this, we felt that it would be easy enough to get this
consultation underway without recourse to fancy software and indeed I
have since then wrangled the material into a bunch of skeletal TEI
documents ready to be linked to from a webpage as per the announcement
letter I sent earlier to the list. James volunteered to help deal with
the resulting flood of suggested encodings.

My recollection  is that we decided on attempting this consultation
because we couldn't decide how far to go in clarifying/changing the
semantics of the various divliminal elements without better
understanding of how the user community perceives them, on which we had
little evidence, other than, of course, the experience of EEBO-TCP.
Since then, it's been argued that we should just deal with the
(comparatively small) number of aberrant uses Sebastian has identified
in EEBO (and for each of which he has now submitted a ticket together
with clear evidence of the use-cases concerned) and put the consultation
exercise back on the back burner where it belongs.

My mind is so open on this issue it's quite draughty.