[tei-council] Council Teleconference Monday 21 October 4pm Oxford time.

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at it.ox.ac.uk
Mon Oct 21 08:59:04 EDT 2013

On 21 Oct 2013, at 11:16, James Cummings <james.cummings at it.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
>> *) The Board want us to consider running a TEI Hackathon to
>> get developers together to show what one can if one has decent
>> TEI markup. John Unsworth suggested that, for example, we
>> could base this around using the d3.js library to visualize
>> TEI material. We need to debate this. I was supportive of the
>> idea.
>
> I'm generally supportive of that idea as well. Would it make
> sense to do it in conjunction with the TEI Conference? Or another
> conference like DH2014?

probably DH, since the idea is to excite people about TEI

>> *) We need another Council discussion about what a "P6" in the
>> broadest sense would mean. Board asks us to have a
>> brain-storming discussion. More blue-sky thinking. Do we need
>> to look again at a Dagstuhl workshop about TEI The Next
>> Generation? (no Deep Space TEI, I thank you)
>
> It seems reasonable to re-examine the issue.  In general I'd
> argue a conservative tack here since we came up with a policy
> when creating P5, as part of the Birnbaum Doctrine, and with the
> specific idea that P5 would continue to have successive versions.

sure. call it TEI NG instead of P6 if you want. my view would be a TEI fork,
rather than a replacement for P5

> I think included in such a discussion should also be our release
> structure within P5 more generally. Not really the process, but
> the structure. There might be benefits if we move to a 'stable'
> vs 'development' kind of structure as seen in many projects.

true. but I'd regard that as a separate issue

I'm talking about (e.g.) TEI as RDF, or TEI as HTML class values,
not something which competes with XML

Director (Research) of Academic IT
University of Oxford IT Services