[tei-council] [TEI-DIR-WG] Outcome of TEI Council discussion on Text Directionality

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Mon Sep 9 08:38:47 EDT 2013

Hi Sebastian,

On 13-09-08 01:09 PM, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> hmm. the idea is sound, but  I'd note that http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-transforms/ is a working draft a year old,
> and that it may well be years before it gets mainstream implementation (not that this
> precludes using the notation).  You can't  call it a "standard" even loosely.

Indeed. This is also the case with the Writing Modes spec. although it's
at the Editor's Draft stage. That's another reason I've been moving a
bit slowly. But these things generally do make it to recommendation
eventually, and in the case of Transform, many features already have
browser support.

> does it mean in fact no change to the TEI at all, just text suggesting how to using existing @style and @rendition?

That's right -- I think we need a good selection of examples of common
usages so that people wanting to know how to do straightforward things
(inline bits of Arabic, Japanese vertical text blocks, etc.) can learn
enough from the Guidelines without having to read the W3C specs, which
are not novice-friendly.