[tei-council] [TEI-DIR-WG] Outcome of TEI Council discussion on Text Directionality

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Fri Sep 6 13:46:05 EDT 2013

Hi Marcus,

On 13-09-06 10:00 AM, Marcus Bingenheimer wrote:
> Hallo Martin,
>
> I second your suggestion. All the four points you raise are relevant, to
> my mind especially 1 and 3.
> Since CSS, like TEI, keeps evolving it might be good to suggest that the
> version one uses must noted somewhere in the teiHeader. Perhaps as part
> of @scheme on <rendition>, but by default that is limited too the value
> 'css'.
> I would prefer a more prominent place and the ability to specify CSS 2.x
> etc.

I'm copying this to Council because it's a broader point that we'll have
to address outside of the directionality/rotation issue.

CSS from version 3 onwards is modular, and modules are versioned
independently. There are already some level 4 modules, for instance. I
don't think it's going to be possible for anyone to say in a single
location in a document that they're using CSS version X; most of the CSS
we currently use was defined in versions 1 through 2.1, and now we'll be
suggesting the use of properties from two level 3 modules, but we may
also recommend level 4 modules in future. I think it would make sense
for a particular section in the Guidelines to point to a specific CSS
specification -- we propose to recommend CSS Writing Modes 3 in our
upcoming addition on text directionality, and all our examples would
reflect that, but a future version of the Guidelines might be revised to
point to a level 4 Writing Modes module if that were more appropriate
(for instance if they added support for bottom-to-top directionality).

So I think we're going to need a place to document the precise CSS
modules that people are drawing from in their use of @style. The
question really is whether this is going to need to be machine-readable,
or whether a prose explanation would be sufficient. If the latter, then
somewhere in <encodingDesc> is fine. Personally, I'm not sure that
there's a need for a machine-readable method, because I don't know what
machine would ever be trying to parse the CSS in a TEI file. The raw CSS
itself is human-readable and comprehensible (albeit with help from the
specifications), so it's ideal as a descriptive tool. Generally, if the
CSS is copied or transformed into output during a rendering process,
then a browser will be the target user agent, and browsers as far as I
can see simply play continual catchup with the existing standards, and
don't advertise themselves as "CSS3 compliant"; they render what they
can render and ignore the rest.

One possible imaginable scenario might be the need to convert from TEI
to XSL:FO. FO uses many properties from CSS2, but it often modifies or
enhances them. It might be possible to write conversions between
(modules at) various CSS levels into the equivalent attribute-sets in
XSL:FO, and therefore it might be useful to be able to machine-read the
relevant CSS levels from the TEI file, but this seems a rather unlikely
situation.

--
Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)