[tei-council] TEI Stylesheets, the road less travelled

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at it.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jul 23 10:28:38 EDT 2013

On 23 Jul 2013, at 15:10, Syd Bauman <s.bauman at NEU.EDU> wrote:

> Well I'm not going to throw a hissy fit, but why would we want to do
> such a thing? Yes, git is newer and shinier than svn, but its
> advantages are not those we want anyway. And its added complexity (in
> order to support those advantages that we won't be taking advantage
> of) will make things harder for those who want to pick this stuff up.

it seemed to me a relatively small change - where does the
added complexity come in? from where I sit, the actions
to make a change and submit it are not dissimilar, and have the
advantage of nice tools to make them happen.  I assume that
most of us here have to be able to use both Git and SVN anyway.

But the principal advantage is that local copies and forks are much better supported. Anything
which means I can work away on fixes and improvements without
breaking a public site has much to recommend it.

for casual users, the facility for web-based editing (for example)
is pretty useful, isn't it?

Director (Research) of Academic IT
University of Oxford IT Services