[tei-council] <app> attributes

Gabriel Bodard gabriel.bodard at kcl.ac.uk
Tue Jun 18 10:55:01 EDT 2013

In enacting ticket <https://sourceforge.net/p/tei/bugs/366/> (adding
examples of app without both lem and rdg, with example of note and
pointing back to an element in the text being commented on), James and I
have come to the opinion that the description of the @from/@to
attributes is overly restrictive.

I have used the @from attribute, as discussed in Providence, not to mark
the beginning of a span using the double-end point method, but to
indicate an element pointed to by means of a url rather than the "magic
token" that is @loc. So far so uncontroversial.

A note on @from (in ref-app) reads: "This attribute is only used when
the double-end point method of apparatus markup is used."

I propose to change this to: "This attribute should be used when the
double-end point method of apparatus markup, or the location-referenced
method with a URL rather than canonical reference, are used."

The @to attribute is slightly different: that is still constrained to
double-end point method. However, the note reads: "This attribute is
only used when the double-end point method of apparatus markup is used,
with the encoded apparatus held in a separate file rather than being
embedded in-line in the base-text file."

I think that last part is overly restrictive. Shouldn't it say something
like: "This attribute is only used when the double-end point method of
apparatus markup is used, with the encoded apparatus held in a separate
file or division of the edition rather than being embedded in-line in
the base-text."

(Location-referenced apparatus can also include the apparatus in the
same file, just not in the transcribed text section, neh?)

If the latter is controversial, I'll just go ahead and make the former
change for the time being. Stop me now, before I kill again....

--
Dr Gabriel BODARD
Researcher in Digital Epigraphy

Digital Humanities