[tei-council] listRelation membership in model.biblLike

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jun 14 07:56:16 EDT 2013

On 14/06/13 10:07, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> On 5 Jun 2013, at 13:26, Kevin Hawkins <kevin.s.hawkins at ultraslavonic.info> wrote:
>
>>> after discussion which went on for 7 months?
>>>
>>> Lou noted on the ticket  on 2011-11-09
>>> "recommendation is to use relationGrp for now since it does the job; add relationGrp to model.biblLike"?
>>> That is a note from a Council meeting - see http://www.tei-c.org/Activities/Council/Meetings/tcm48.xml
>>> The record is entirely clear - we decided  on November 9th 2011 that
>>> "<relationGrp> will also be added to model.biblLike."
>>>
>>> maybe everyone in Paris  misunderstood what model.biblLike is, but this is most
>>> definitely not a "last minute kludge".
>> I suspect that what we decided in Paris was actually to add
>> <relationGrp> as a child of all members of model.biblLike, but this got
>> recorded in the minutes differently.
>
> would anyone who was in Paris and remembers the discussion like to support
> Kevin's Talmudic version? Those minutes are really very opaque on the subject.

I am not sure what's Talmudic about this, but here's what Kevin actually
added to the ticket on 2011-10-15

"For clarity, the new <listRelation> element (which would contain
<relation> elements) would be allowed in the same places as the
to-be-deprecated <relationGrp> except that it would also be added to
model.biblLike so that bibl, biblStruct, and biblFull could contain
<relation> elements without needing to wrap these <relation> elements in
<relationGrp>."

If the intent is (as I think this comment suggests) to allow <relation>
within <bibl> and friends, then clearly adding it to model.biblLike
won't cut it: the relevant class would be model.biblPart. I think that's
a corrigible error and I propose to corridge it, unless there is strong
objection.

It leaves aside the broader question as to where else <relation>, or
<relationGrp> elements should be permitted. That probably needs a
separate and longer discussion.