[tei-council] "global" @source [was Re: Fwd: RE: @resp]

Gabriel Bodard gabriel.bodard at kcl.ac.uk
Thu May 30 10:31:37 EDT 2013

I don't think there's a ticket for this yet (please correct me if I've
missed it) but this question (of making @source (a) available more
widely than just on quote, egXML, etc., and (b) expanding its semantics
to the source of a piece of information, datum, translation, encoding
rather than just a quotation) is intimately tied up with
https://sourceforge.net/p/tei/feature-requests/443/ (on making @resp
more widely available).

As I understand and remember it, we had gotten as far as agreeing that
both @resp and @source would usefully be more widely available than they
currently are. (We would probably also agree that neither of these
should be technically global attributes.) But how do we go forward to a
decision somewhere in between the two extremes?

I think the way forward is to collect (in a ticket? in a wiki page? in
emails to the list/to me?) specific and documented use-cases of elements
which we need to be able to attribute to a particular encoder, or whose
content we need to attribute to a bibliographical source somewhere. From
these examples, we should try to come up with a coherent proposal for
the extension of both of these attributes.

Does this seem reasonable? Does anyone else want to collate this
information? Any preference as to where/how we do this? (Do we need a
new ticket alongside FR 443, or should we have both conversations
together in there?)

Gabby

--
Dr Gabriel BODARD