[tei-council] Guidelines TOC page again

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Mon May 27 08:51:21 EDT 2013

Hi James,

On 13-05-25 04:36 AM, James Cummings wrote:

> Things that occur to me:
>
> 1) Responsiveness: The 3 -> 2 col is fine. If we have it go down
> to 1 column at a small window size then that might look nice on
> mobiles?  Designers here tend to do 3 sizes in responsive css
> where there is a 'really wide', normal, and finally
> 1col/small/mobile where the header simplifies and everything ends
> up in 1column.  That might b e a bit out of scope here though.

I think redesigning the Glines for mobile is a necessary job, and we
should open a ticket for it, but it's not really part of this ticket.

> 2) We have the icons for other formats at the top, but not the
> bottom, but the different languages in both places... for
> consistency I'd probably have the icons on the bottom as well.

I thought about that, but I thought this: if you're deciding to look at
a different language, it's often in response to something you read on
the page and don't quite understand in the language you're looking at;
you may be near the top or the bottom of the page when that happens. If
you decide to use a different format of the Guidelines like an e-book
version, that's not in response to something you read near the bottom of
a page; you'd do that because that's what you wanted in the first place
when you went to the TOC page. So there's no need for the ebook icons at
the bottom. However, it's trivial to add them, so if there's a consensus
on this, I'll do that.

> 3) I'd put a background box /colour or rounded border or
> something around the TEI sourcecode block to indicate it is
> something different.

The reasons I'm not keen on this are that it will unbalance the look of
the page, and that it will actually make the sourcecode items appear to
be more important than everything else; as it is, they're the last thing
you read, which makes them (to me) seem less prominent. When I work on
the output, though, I'll just give that a class to that block so we can
play around with highlighting it.