[tei-council] Guidelines TOC page again

Kevin Hawkins kevin.s.hawkins at ultraslavonic.info
Thu May 23 19:35:20 EDT 2013

On 5/23/13 6:45 PM, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> On 23 May 2013, at 23:41, Martin Holmes <mholmes at uvic.ca>
>   wrote:
>

>> I don't like the idea that languages are associated with national
>> entities. It's only a rough match at best. Are you going to include
>> flags of every French-speaking country for the French one, for instance?
>> Or insult some French-speaking countries by leaving them out?
>
> its a pretty well-understood convention, isnt it, that the flag of France means French?
> people do get offended by strange stuff

It's also a convention to use "1" for male and "2" for female, but it
doesn't mean we should do it.  Our use of flags would eventually get
picked up by http://dhpoco.org/ and cause a fuss in our community, which
is attuned to questions of the problems of national identity.  Just
imagine the outrage if we use an American flag for English!

This reminds me that I recently encountered http://www.cwrc.ca/ , which
has the curious practice of using a Canadian flag for English and a
French flag for French.  You'd think they would have used a UK and a
French flag, or maybe a Canadian flag and a Quebec flag, or better yet
avoided using flags entirely.