[tei-council] Suggestion for a new Guidelines TOC document: survey responses

Kevin Hawkins kevin.s.hawkins at ultraslavonic.info
Wed May 15 12:41:27 EDT 2013

My responses below ...

On 5/15/2013 12:15 PM, Martin Holmes wrote:
> 1. Do we want two columns however wide your screen is, or do we want
> three columns collapsing to two if there's not enough room for them?

I think two columns is less overwhelming, and I think we can fit what we
need into two columns and still keep the most-often-visited stuff "above
the fold".

> 2. Do we want to keep Some Popular Sections?

Like many others, I have never liked this block.  But if the choice is
between keeping this and putting the back matter above the fold, then I
say to keep "Some Popular Sections".

> 3. Do we want to include the alternative output formats (PDF, ePub,
> Mobi) as list elements like the rest of the TOC (as in my mockup), or as
> links in a horizontal list across the top (as in Kevin's)?

I prefer my way because it saves real estate, and by putting it near the
top, you make it slightly clearer that these options gives you all of
the information below in an alternative format.  If we keep it below, I
suggest a shaded background to differentiate from the regular chapters
and specs of the Guidelines.

--K.