[tei-council] contact for i18n work

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at it.ox.ac.uk
Tue May 14 17:23:21 EDT 2013

On 13 May 2013, at 16:43, Martin Holmes <mholmes at uvic.ca> wrote:

> Let's start with French, since you and Lou can do some of the translations.
>
> As I understand it, then, we need to generate a list of:
>
>  - elementSpecs with no desc in French (already on the ticket, first
> priority)
>
>  - specs whose gloss or desc is out of date (in other words, where the
> text of the gloss or desc has changed since the translation was done)

ok, those are easy (well, theoretically)

>  - elements and attributes lacking an example in French

this is a bit harder, as the example may be so trivial as
to not need translating (like the one for <l>), or be in a neutral
language, and it is hard to tell whether its culturally-specific
without a native speaker looking at it. I mean, localizing examples
goes beyond simple language.  It may well be that classicial
scholars (in whatever language) may like a whole different set of
examples from those who deal with spanish literature of the 20th
century (of course)

by the way, re the i18n page, note that Marcus Bingenheimer now in
the US (cf http://www.temple.edu/religion/faculty/bingenheimer.html)
Director (Research) of Academic IT
University of Oxford IT Services