[tei-council] getting commandline roma to work using local resources

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu
Fri May 3 14:07:19 EDT 2013

I'd like to get roma2.sh to work on my commandline using local copies
of the stylesheets and Guidelines. I have not been able to do this
for months now, but it's getting pretty urgent.

I am currently running on a Ubuntu GNU/Linux system that has both the
stylesheets and Guidelines installed both as distributed via Debian
packages (in the /usr/share/xml/ hierarchy), and as the current
Sourceforge checkouts (in the /home/syd/Documents/ hierarchy).

However, I'd also like to have roma2.sh working on my Mac OS X
system, which only has the current Sourceforge checkouts (as I have
yet to figure out how to distribute the files from the .zip you get
from the downloads section of Sourceforge on a system so that it
mimics what the Debian packages do). IIRC, I get the same problem on
it (although I don't have it here, so can't test).

I've now tried running roma2.sh using all four combinations of local
stylesheets and Guidelines, and in all I get the same error from
roma2.sh because the RNG file generated in step 1 has nothing but
|  <grammar>
|    <sch:ns/>
|    <start>
|      <choice/>
|    </start>
|  </grammar>
(attributes and comments removed). In all 4 cases this occurs because
the compiled ODD is not generated properly; it always has
|     <text>
|           <schemaSpec ident="duck"
|                       start="TEI div"
|                       source="/usr/share/xml/tei/odd/Source/guidelines-en.xml"/>
|     </text>
(or the other path to guidelines-en.xml if using the current
Subversion version of the Guidelines).

When I set verbose=true, it seems odd2odd.xsl isn't really doing
much:

|  Setting source document to /home/syd/Documents/P5/Source/guidelines-en.xml
|  Source for TEI will be set to /home/syd/Documents/P5/Source/guidelines-en.xml
|  Schema duck
|  Setting source document to /home/syd/Documents/P5/Source/guidelines-en.xml
|  Setting source document to /home/syd/Documents/P5/Source/guidelines-en.xml
|  Setting source document to /home/syd/Documents/P5/Source/guidelines-en.xml
|  Setting source document to /home/syd/Documents/P5/Source/guidelines-en.xml
|  Setting source document to /home/syd/Documents/P5/Source/guidelines-en.xml
|  Setting source document to /home/syd/Documents/P5/Source/guidelines-en.xml
|  Setting source document to /home/syd/Documents/P5/Source/guidelines-en.xml

I should be getting *lots* more debugging messages from odd2odd.xsl.
All this happens regardless of the ODD input file I'm using. I've
even tested a pretty minimal ODD:

| <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
| <TEI xml:lang="en" xmlns="http://www.tei-c.org/ns/1.0"
|   xmlns:rng="http://relaxng.org/ns/structure/1.0">