[tei-council] respond by 1 May: summary of and path forward for "no longer recommended" and "deprecated" practices

Gabriel Bodard gabriel.bodard at kcl.ac.uk
Fri Apr 19 06:47:54 EDT 2013

On 2013-04-19 09:42, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> a) "The value of @validUntil shall be no sooner than two years from
> the date of the change." - did we agree on "no sooner than two
> years"? I thought it was one year from the date of the release in
> which the status changes. we did see-saw around that area

My recollection matches Kevin's; the rationale for this was that two
years from committing the deprecation note *guarantees* at least one
year from the release in which the deprecation is recorded to the
release in which the element disappears. I've glossed the wiki page
accordingly.

>   b) we can automate the check in 3. of the wiki page. i.e. don't ask people to go grepping, but instead add to the build checks so that a validUntil which is less than 6 months away from todays date generates a warning and a validUntil which is after todays date generates an error. This will cause Jenkins to fail the build if we ignore a validUntil date.
>    c) for 1 B, i would suggest a formal process whereby the release notes have a section listing all the Specs waiting on death row, with their date. so we write a script
> to generate a section for inclusion in the notes. anything which cane be automated, lets automate...

Agreed. Neither of these means that no human has to look at the
deprecation and take an action (meaning that decisions can and will be
reviewed), but they also help to make sure we don't lose sight of things
we've planned to do or people we should have warned.

> I will wait to do the stylesheet changes until you have done the first @validUntil, so we have something to test on. it won't be hard,
> so shout when you're ready and we can get the implementation done quickly

It would be nice if a couple of people other than Kevin tried this out
too (maybe once Kevin and Sebastian have proved it doesn't explode).
I'll keep an eye on my tickets for anything that could make use of
@validUntil. (I'm not totally clear on how deprecation of a model--as
opposed to a whole element of attribute--would work. Is everyone else?)

Dr Gabriel BODARD
Researcher in Digital Epigraphy

Digital Humanities
King's College London