[tei-council] Should Roma be doing this?

Gabriel Bodard gabriel.bodard at kcl.ac.uk
Mon Apr 8 07:36:05 EDT 2013

When we discussed this very question at the last f2f, we came to
precisely this conclusion (that all the functions of @type are
renditional [and in fact effectively HTML-renditional] and should
therefore be moved to @rend and family, thereby freeing up @type if
anyone wants to typologize lists in ways that aren't currently catered
for), but it was generally agreed that this would be too disruptive, and
so we started a page somewhere on the Wiki of decisions to be deferred
for P6.

The one decision we did make was to standardize on one of
"numbered"|"ordered" (probably to the former, but I don't remember and
haven't checked the minutes).

I've been a bit bemused by the fact that we've now revisited this
question on the list at least twice since Oxford. I'm not sure we're
*ever* going to agree to break tei:list this badly before P6, are we?

On 2013-04-08 12:26, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> On 8 Apr 2013, at 11:23, James Cummings <james.cummings at it.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>>   I also agree that order being important (or not) is something
>> that should be able to be captured (@ordered as a boolean?) but
>> think it is separate from the classification.  My <list
>> type="recipeSteps"> classifies what type of list it is, but
>> *also* has a requirement that order is important.
>>
>> Whether these are numbered steps or bulleted is entirely a
>> rendering thing in my opinion.
>

> effectively, we're moving the currently widely used set of @type values
> into @rend, then. Which is very reasonable. But _highly_ disruptive
> to many many existing projects and tools.
>
> discuss at f2f, sure. but lets be wary of this eating up a lot to time,
> cos the implications are scary.
> --
> Sebastian Rahtz
> Director (Research) of Academic IT