[tei-council] Should Roma be doing this?

James Cummings James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk
Mon Apr 8 06:23:38 EDT 2013

On 06/04/13 20:46, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> since you've raised this again, Syd, what's your proposal for what we should do?
> completely abandon @type for specifying rendition?
>
> i could live with a ruling that
>
>   1. @type is for semantics: <list type="recipe">
>   2. without any rendition info, the assumption is that in HTML <list> equates to <ul>, etc
>
> but its a pain in the neck if people use inline @style, and I want to make LaTeX....

I think I agree with Syd here... I think @type should be reserved
for the semantic classification of what 'type of' list this is.

(I would say <list type="directions"> (or 'steps' or something)
rather than 'recipe' since presumably there was some content
describing the recipe, another list for the ingredients, etc.)

  I also agree that order being important (or not) is something
that should be able to be captured (@ordered as a boolean?) but
think it is separate from the classification.  My <list
type="recipeSteps"> classifies what type of list it is, but
*also* has a requirement that order is important.

Whether these are numbered steps or bulleted is entirely a
rendering thing in my opinion.

Discuss at the face-to-face?

-James

Dr James Cummings, James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk