[tei-council] where to put bibliographic citations in the Guidelines

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Fri Apr 5 15:26:29 EDT 2013

On 13-04-05 11:07 AM, Syd Bauman wrote:
> I'm not sure whether or not Martin's (nice) idea meets accessibility
> criteria, either.

I think it does: the footnotes still appear at the bottom of the page,
as they do now. When you click on the note number, a copy is made of the
note from the bottom, and the copy is shown to you in the margin. We
should set it up so that, if you have JavaScript turned off, or it's
unavailable, the original linking system works as before, but if you
have JavaScript, you get the popups instead (and in either case, the
notes still appear at the bottom). But it does mean adding some
JavaScript to the Guidelines. There is some already, of course, so this
isn't breaking new ground.

> But I think it leads us to a greater point than
> footnotes. We should probably start thinking about how to get a web
> accessibility appraisal of the Guidelines in HTML (at least). Do we
> have any in-house expertise in this area?

Not me. My experience with those automated testers has not been
encouraging. The one from years ago (what was it called?) used to
complain that the answers and feedback for multiple choice questions
were hidden from view -- which of course they should be, till you make a
choice.

--
Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)