[tei-council] certainty/precision

Gabriel Bodard gabriel.bodard at kcl.ac.uk
Wed Mar 13 10:21:51 EDT 2013

So on discarding my checkout of the TEI P5 SVN repo, so as to re-check
out the new address, I found that I had two uncommitted files from some
months ago. (I know!) I had been about to check in a couple of revisions
to the examples for <certainty/> and <precision/>, but to the best of my
recollection we stalled a little bit on deciding exactly how to define
the @match attribute.

What I seem to have been about to check in was an additional example:

<exemplum xml:lang="en">
     <egXML xmlns="http://www.tei-c.org/ns/Examples">
       <space quantity="4" unit="chars">
         <certainty match=".." cert="medium" locus="name"
assertedValue="gap"/>
       </space>
     </egXML>
   </exemplum>

But according to what seemed to be close to a consensus on this list
back in December, that @match attribute would have been incorrect, since
the default target of a certainty or precision with no @target would be
the parent element (or an @match pointing to an XPath relative to that
parent element).

I'll go back and hunt out those emails shortly, unless somebody has a
clearer recollection (or a minute somewhere) that we had in fact already
decided this and reopening the can of worms would just be silly. (Stop
me now before I kill again...)

Dr Gabriel BODARD
Researcher in Digital Epigraphy

Digital Humanities