[tei-council] @xml:lang

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu
Wed Mar 6 20:13:13 EST 2013

> #4: I understand, but I think we haven't discussed it enough or
> understood the implications properly.
>
> In particular, what does @xml:lang="" mean or do?

   In particular, the empty value of xml:lang is used on an element B
   to override a specification of xml:lang on an enclosing element A,
   without specifying another language. Within B, it is considered
   that there is no language information available, just as if
   xml:lang had not been specified on B or any of its ancestors.
   Applications determine which of an element's attribute values and
   which parts of its character content, if any, are treated as
   language-dependent values described by xml:lang.
   		      -- Extensible Markup Language (XML) 1.0 (Fifth Edition)
		      	 section 2.12
			 http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#sec-lang-tag