[tei-council] Should Roma be doing this?

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Wed Feb 6 17:32:13 EST 2013

I think the core problem here is that we've been using @type on <list>
for all these years when we should have been using @rend. Doesn't this
sound more sane?

@rend="bulleted"
@rend="numbered"
@rend="simple"

The only value of @type that really looks like a type to me is "gloss",
but this is used, as far as I understand it, when there is a <label>
preceding the <item>, and in that case the presence of <label> is
sufficient to determine the output appearance.

So I would recommend:

1. Changing our recommendation so that we provide suggested values for
@rend, not @type.

2. Adding a suggestion that using @style with CSS will provide a useful
range of precise options that cover most cases.

3. Leaving @type on <list>, for backward compatibility, but providing no
suggested values for it.

This will cause Sebastian considerable stylesheet-related pain, I know,
so apologies for that.

Cheers,
martin

--