[tei-council] @rows="0", @cols="0"?

Gabriel Bodard gabriel.bodard at kcl.ac.uk
Sat Feb 2 13:04:34 EST 2013

I feel as though the answer to this ought to be yes (even if only in a
hypothetical, never-really-going-to-happen kind of way) but I'm not sure
I can think of even that. Trying to twist my mind...

Would you ever get a case when a table (in the proper sense of a series
of rows, each cell in which lines up semantically with a column heading
above) has both spanning cells and absent cells (that would need to be
so marked)?

So if the table has columns A, B, C, and rows 1, 2, 3, with a structure
something like:

   <row>
     <cell role="label">A</cell>
     <cell role="label">B</cell>
     <cell role="label">C</cell>
   </row>
   <row>
     <cell role="label">1</cell>
     <cell>1A</cell>
     <cell>1B</cell>
     <cell>1C</cell>
   </row>
   <row>
     <cell role="label">2</cell>
     <cell cols="2">2A</cell>
     <cell>3C</cell>
   </row>
   <row>
     <cell role="label">3</cell>
     <cell cols="2">3A</cell>
     <cell>3B</cell>
   </row>

How can you tell from the markup (given the content is arbitrary) that
row 3 does not have the same structure as row 2? Would a <cell
cols="0"/> in row 2 make it clearer that there is no value for column
"B" in that row?

That's the best I can do. I'm not sure even I'm convinced.

--
Dr Gabriel BODARD
Researcher in Digital Epigraphy

Department of Digital Humanities