[tei-council] is <eg> special as regards whitespace?

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Tue Jan 29 12:19:40 EST 2013

If no-one has complained that their linebreaks are disappearing with the
new stylesheets, then I would say that you should leave well alone; it's
easy enough for someone to add xml:space="preserve" if they need to, and
it seems wrong that space should be preserved without it.

However, I will suggest: won't using CDATA [[]] help?

(I want to see you eat a stuffed monkey. I missed it the first time.)

On 13-01-29 09:14 AM, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> One of the effects of implementing those white space rules in my XSL is that
> the contents of <eg> are now treated like any other element, i.e.
> newlines are replace by space etc. This means it is no longer equivalent
> to <pre> in HTML.
>
> So tell me, o wolves, what does the encoding
>
>     <eg>
>     the cat
>     sat on the mat
>   <./eg>
>
> mean?
>
> since the reference page has nothing to say on the matter, I suggest that  i currently
> have no justification to make <eg> always behave as if it had  xml:space="preserve"
>
> so tell me, is <eg> to be a hard-wired exception? if so, we must
> document it, lest the Wrath of McCaskey descend upon us.
>
> (and please, if anyone says, "won't using CDATA [[]] help",
> I shall probably have to eat a stuffed monkey again)
> --
> Sebastian Rahtz
> Director (Research Support) of Academic IT Services
> University of Oxford IT Services

Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)