[tei-council] is <eg> special as regards whitespace?

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at it.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jan 29 12:14:58 EST 2013

One of the effects of implementing those white space rules in my XSL is that
the contents of <eg> are now treated like any other element, i.e.
newlines are replace by space etc. This means it is no longer equivalent
to <pre> in HTML.

So tell me, o wolves, what does the encoding

   <eg>
   the cat
   sat on the mat
 <./eg>

mean?

since the reference page has nothing to say on the matter, I suggest that  i currently
have no justification to make <eg> always behave as if it had  xml:space="preserve"

so tell me, is <eg> to be a hard-wired exception? if so, we must
document it, lest the Wrath of McCaskey descend upon us.

(and please, if anyone says, "won't using CDATA [[]] help",
I shall probably have to eat a stuffed monkey again)
Director (Research Support) of Academic IT Services
University of Oxford IT Services