[tei-council] @xml:space, whitespace and http://purl.org/tei/bug/3600991

James Cummings James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jan 16 08:57:23 EST 2013

Some of the confusion, I think, might revolve around the
dichotomy (which TEI exposes as false) between a simplistic view
of an element's content as 'structured' or 'mixed content'.  The
TEI allows the same element to act as both and <persName> is
indeed a good example of this. It sometimes just may have
<forename> and <surname> in it, but other times might also have a
comma or just text. If it is not mixed content then the tests
I've done indicate it is usually treated as if it is what John
calls a 'structured' element.  To do otherwise implies
schema-aware processing. There are plenty of times I've treated
<persName> as if it is a 'structured' element... in fact I prefer
to do that.  I've never used @xml:space to indicate my intention,
just relied on things following the same assumptions as me.  (I'm
not saying this is a good idea, just reporting on my usage.)

I think I'd just remove the sentence starting 'If it is done,...'.

-James

Dr James Cummings, James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk