[tei-council] @xml:space, whitespace and http://purl.org/tei/bug/3600991

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Wed Jan 16 08:44:18 EST 2013

The text reflects my own understanding of the situation (although I'm as
cautious as Sebastian with regard to whether I do understand it or not).
One bit caught my attention, though:

"Treating a structured element as a mixed-content one, or vice versa,
should be done with care. If it is done, the schema should be customized
to record the fact."

How would one customize the schema to do this? I can see that you could
use @xml:space="preserve" to specify that an element with element-only
content has significant whitespace, but that's in the encoding itself,
not the schema; and I don't see how you can specify the reverse (since
"default" won't do it). The text also explains how you can use
<encodingDesc> to document such things. But I'm not sure how you could
do it in the schema.

Other than that, I think it's great.

--
Martin Holmes
mholmes at uvic.ca
UVic Humanities Computing and Media Centre