[tei-council] "soft deprecation": use @status='deprecated' ?

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Mon Jan 14 11:18:33 EST 2013

> And I still don't know what we do about "stylistic deprecation" -- where
> we say this element is permitted in the content model, but you should
> really  only use it in this particular way (e.g. @target on <locus> )

I don't really think this is much of a problem in real life, as long as
the Guidelines are chock-full of good examples of what we believe people
should be doing. (Of course they're still a bit lacking in that area,
but we are committed to fixing that.) Weird uses which are
schema-compliant but undesirable tend to arise mainly because there's no
useful example for people to follow. The elementSpec for <locus> is good
in this respect: there are two examples and a note explaining the issue.

If we give advice and people choose to ignore it, that's up to them,
really. We can't police everything.

--
Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)