[tei-council] display of modified arts in P5

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at it.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jan 14 06:26:33 EST 2013

On 14 Jan 2013, at 11:13, James Cummings <james.cummings at it.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

> On 13/01/13 14:09, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
>> see http://bits.nsms.ox.ac.uk:8080/jenkins/job/TEIP5/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/ref-abbr.html
>> for the latest display which may be helpful
>
> Let me see if I'm reading this right:
> 1) This says that <abbr> gets @subtype from att.typed but not @type?
krekt

yes. well, its not a new @type, its a modification of it

> 3) It says 'Derived from att.typed' to indicate this is a pure
> subset change?

no, there is not a _promise_ that its a subset change only.
its possible that we might use this to open up a data type?

i reiterate that displaying what has changed in relation
to the source is not attempted, any more than it ever has been
in documentation for a customisation before. it would mean
a serious redesign.

ultimately, one is reduced to reading the source, luke

> But since locally re-defined it won't inherit any
> future changes to att.typed's @type?

no, thats not true. it depends what it changed. if just the
description is what changed, anything else will be inherited
after change

> If I was an average user looking at this I would really be
> wondering why @type is redefined locally in preference to using
> the att.typed version.
>
> Should it be policy that any time we do something like this it
> requires a note/remark here about why this has been done?

yes, quite possibly.  do you want to experiment and see how it would look?

Director (Research Support) of Academic IT Services
University of Oxford IT Services