[tei-council] "soft deprecation": use @status='deprecated' ?

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Sun Jan 13 13:51:59 EST 2013

I think a "backwardCompatibility" or Birnbaum module is a great idea. We
could provide a customization alongside tei_all which incorporates it,
so people could decide whether their projects are forward-looking or
backward-looking.

I suspect there will be gotchas, though. For instance I just renamed
att.sourced to att.edition; a Birnbaum module that attempted to restore
a deleted attribute to att.sourced would fail because it's not there any
more. We'd have to maintain the Birnbaum module carefully alongside the
main codebase, updating it to take account of changes like this.

On 13-01-13 10:40 AM, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> I'm pretty much with you and Martin - there's deprecation, and thats it. no hard and soft complications
> and worries.
>
> I'm all for formalizing things like this. ie if we decide something is deprecated, set a time limit on it
> (12 months? 2 years?) after which it moves to a module called "backwardcompatibility" which
> is not included by default. We could implement that for the release next autumn. the new
> ability to say @mode on source provides a convenient mechanism,possibly (I havent thought
> through the details).
> --
> Sebastian Rahtz
> http://www.justgiving.com/SebastianRahtz
> Director (Research Support) of Academic IT Services
> University of Oxford IT Services

Martin Holmes
mholmes at uvic.ca
UVic Humanities Computing and Media Centre