[tei-council] another High Noon proposal

James Cummings James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jan 11 10:27:58 EST 2013

This discussion clarifies things in my mind:

a) On principle I think anything that has @type should have
@subtype (if it can be classified it can be sub-classified).

b) The main purpose for allowing local in-place modifications was
to rationalise things like @type appearing in different places
but having slightly different descs or suggested valLists.  But
this underscores a principle I think: Claiming membership in a
class does *not* mean you claim everything that class
provides/enables. I maybe be a member of a club, but that does
not mean I also pay the extra supplement to use the gym. I vote
that we should be allowed to delete attributes from a particular
element's use of that class exactly as Sebastian did first. (Ok,
if in this case adding @subtype is easier, I'm fine with that,
see a. above) So if <elementFoo> has @type but not @subtype (for
whatever reason) then I would rather it was a member of att.typed
but only claimed to get @type from it than it have its own local
@type

c) My unfounded belief is that the majority of users look at
<elementFoo> reference page and see that it has this-or-that
attribute. They may notice that they get this attribute from
this-or-that class, but they won't care that the desc is slightly
modified or there is a slightly different suggested valList.
They'll think it is good that @type on title has suggestions for
types of titles rather than really vague and general types.

My tuppence,

-James

Dr James Cummings, James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk