[tei-council] att.sourced (<lb ed="1674">) contradiction

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at it.ox.ac.uk
Sun Jan 6 11:40:53 EST 2013

On 6 Jan 2013, at 16:25, Lou Burnard <lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

>> Syd's useful analysis explains, I think, what happened. We set up data.code with the
>> intention of it being a special case of linking to a set of known values, but then
>> forgot the plan and made it a pointer instead.
>
> I for one did not forget that data.code was meant not to be a pointer,
> but I seem to remember being over-ruled!
I think I remember that discussion vaguely.....

> Yes, data.key probably has the right semantics here, although it doesn't
> actually exist in the TEI any more.

poor thing is still there, just unused by anyone

> I think the answer is to change the datatype of data.code from anyURI
> (which is silly) to data.text (which is painful, since it permits
> blanks, but is consistent with what we currently do with @key)

data.word covers this case already

> Or (better) to reinvent data.key as something intermediate between
> data.name and data.text

since data.code is not used anywhere except in att.sourced, and data.key is not used at all,
we can drop both of them in favour of data.word
http://www.justgiving.com/SebastianRahtz
Director (Research Support) of Academic IT Services
University of Oxford IT Services