[tei-council] <quotation>

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at it.ox.ac.uk
Tue Dec 11 08:11:17 EST 2012

On 11 Dec 2012, at 12:55, Lou Burnard <lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> All I'm saying is that the processing model anticipated by the encoder may not have much or anything to do with realising the text in a nice HTML-like form. They may just want to count the words or align the transcription with an audio, or who knows what.
\
oh, agreed, yes. in many cases the decision about the presence of absence of " will be immaterial. but you still have to decide.

> "anomalous" does not mean "inconsistent with what I would do".

ah, now that explains where I am going wrong.

> If we restore the ones you removed, then we'd have three examples with preserved quotes and seven without, which seems about right to me, especially since the text explicitly says you can choose between leaving quotes in and not doing so.

this comes back to the debate sometime in the last 12 months where you argued that the examples should
show every type of different practice under the sun, and Martin and I argued that the the examples
within the Guidelines should show a consistent story. I mind less if the discursive chapters show
varying practice, but having two different styles on the same reference page at http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/ref-said.html
jars. The difference between the two last examples (one with @rend, one without) is by contrast fine.

>> Shall I get started now on  the confusion for the reader by showing them
>> both
>> 	rend="PRE+lsquo POST+rsquo"
>> and
>> 	rend="pre(“) post(”)
>> or shall I leave that for another day or another lifetime?
>
> I wanted to replace all that rendition laddering, but my courage failed me at the last moment. Syd, since you're now on this list, would you care to express an opinion about whether we should replace all these examples with a CSS formulation?

I don't mind the  concept of rendition ladders, but having two related, but different, implementations of the idea on a single page
(http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/examples-said.html) seems a step too far.

Director (Research Support) of Academic IT Services
University of Oxford IT Services