[tei-council] <quotation>

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at it.ox.ac.uk
Tue Dec 11 06:38:11 EST 2012

On 11 Dec 2012, at 10:36, Lou Burnard <lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk>
 wrote:

> By all means lets have a discussion about the usefulness of <defaultVal>

we have 83 of them, so its not a trivial issue to resolve

>> of the <text> does not know what will happen in the rendered output if she omits
>> <quotation>. If she chooses to write <quotation marks="some"> the
>> she'll get her sandy deserts of course.
>

> Who is this foolish woman? The encoder of a text chooses to encode what is significant to them. They may not ever intend the text to be rendered, and they may not care tuppence what happens when your stylesheet hits it!

That's burying your head in the sand. No-one encodes a text in TEI XML without expecting someone sometime to do _some_ processing
on it, in the vaguest sense. whether it is my stylesheets or  whatever tool, there must be a processing model of this stuff.

>> I did take the liberty of removing the one I found in <said>. If people
>> think that was bad, I'll restore them.
>
> I think they should be restored but *inside* the element, for consistency with the other <said> examples, where you have mdashes retained inside the element.

those French examples with mdashes are anomalous, as most of the examples of <said> have omitted
the quote marks or whatever.  I'd argue they should have a <quotation marks="all"> as part of the example,
to show readers how to get the meaning they want.

Shall I get started now on  the confusion for the reader by showing them
both
	rend="PRE+lsquo POST+rsquo"
and
	rend="pre(“) post(”)
or shall I leave that for another day or another lifetime?
Director (Research Support) of Academic IT Services
University of Oxford IT Services