[tei-council] one <exemplum> or many?

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk
Fri Dec 7 10:35:59 EST 2012

Surely we have more urgent and important matters to work on than this?

An exemplum " groups an example demonstrating the use of an element
along with optional paragraphs of commentary"

As the content model shows, it contains a single <egXML>. Whether that
contains one or  more occurrence of the element being exemplified is
entirely an editorial matter. Sometimes it's useful to provide muiltiple
instances, more usually it isn't.

The content of an egXML is supposed to be well formed, but we relaxed
the constraint that there has to be a single root containing the whole
content to permit examples containing mixed content.

In this particular case, does it really matter whether or n ot you
consider the fact that there are three sponsor elements as exemplying
the repeatability of <sponsor> within its parent? Many may elements are
repeatable within their parent, and for most of them we don't bother to
indicate the fact when we exemplify them!