[tei-council] Upgrading TEI Project on SF

Gabriel Bodard gabriel.bodard at kcl.ac.uk
Thu Dec 6 09:19:56 EST 2012

On 2012-12-05 17:29, James Cummings wrote:
>> Does SF have a deadline by which we need to move?
>
> Not that I've seen so far.

They say "in the first quarter of 2013", which I think implies that if
we haven't upgraded by end March, they'll probably do it for us soon
thereafter.

On 2012-12-05 18:19, Lou Burnard wrote:
> "all our urls" meaning what exactly? Internally in the Guidelines we
> dont refer to anything sf specific, so those links clearly won't
> break. In what sense will all currently checked out versions of the
> repo break? They will remain internally consistent, so you cant mean
> that. Presumably you mean that they won't automatically get in touch
> with the new allura-svn repo, but who would expect them to?

Well, by default most people will expect files that they have checked
out, especially if they are externals or dependencies within a larger
process that they had set up once and don't need to think about very
often, to continue working. I don't know about you, but many of the
processes I have set up include all sorts of externalled files and
directories in useful places, in ways that I may not be entirely sure I
remember how (let alone why) they work any more. It's not, as you say,
unexpected that these will break if the repo is moved, but it is a major
pain. That is I think the only reason to make sure everyone is warned,
and we have surveyed what we'll need to fix, before we jump in
feet-first and press that "upgrade" button.

I'm about to do this for EpiDoc (which is a lot smaller than TEI) and am
giving people (and myself) several weeks notice before actually pressing
the button.

--
Dr Gabriel BODARD
Researcher in Digital Epigraphy