[tei-council] Upgrading TEI Project on SF

Kevin Hawkins kevin.s.hawkins at ultraslavonic.info
Wed Dec 5 12:02:13 EST 2012

On 12/5/2012 11:45 AM, James Cummings wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> SourceForge seems to be recommending people upgrade their project
> to their new Allura platform.  However, this gives some
> unintended side effects, like it will break all currently checked
> out versions of the SVN repository, and all our URLs will change
> (I'll have to change where those handy PURLs go, but at least
> they should still work, old full URLs might not).
>
> We will have to do this *sometime* the question I guess I have
> for you is when is the right time to do this?'

For the change in read/write access to the version control repository,
we'll need to update tutorials on www.tei-c.org, the various tcw
documents relating to updating the Guidelines and making releases, and
publicize in the community for those who download releases through SVN.

Before we move, I would like to have a script that will take a text file
(XML or MediaWiki markup) as input and which will substitute each SF URL
for the equivalent PURL.  I can update all wiki.tei-c.org and
www.tei-c.org pages affected.

This will make it easier for people digging through old Council minutes
and other wiki discussions to make sense of what was being discussed (by
referring to the associated SF tickets).

I'll start a Google Docs file of things that need to happen and share
with you all.

> Sebastian will say that we should use this as an opportunity to
> move any non-Guidelines community contributed but TEIC owned
> software to our shiny new github account at
> https://github.com/organizations/TEIC which is another
> discussion.  (e.g. should things like Byzantium and
> odd-by-example move there)

Yes, we keep talking disentangling official TEI-C content and other
things that Sebastian has worked on over the years, moving the latter
somewhere else.  This should happen in any case, but I guess Sebastian's
point is that this forces our hand to actually go ahead.

While we're going to discuss which category Byzantium falls into during
our call next week, are there any other unclear cases?