[tei-council] Examples for certainty|precision @match

Gabriel Bodard gabriel.bodard at kcl.ac.uk
Mon Nov 26 07:41:00 EST 2012

After fixing the problem with certLike having been inadvertently removed
from the content model of <space>, I was about to add an example or two
to the usage of <certainty> and/or <precision>, when I noticed an
apparent inconsistency (or at least potential confusion) in the
guidelines description of the @match attribute.

At
<http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/ref-att.scoping.html>,
@match is defined:
"supplies an arbitrary XPath expression identifying a set of nodes,
selected within the context identified by the @target attribute if this
is supplied, or within the context of the element bearing this attribute
if it is not."

I take this to mean that in the absence of @target, if I want to point
to a <gap> element from a <certainty> inside it, I should write:

(The example under match indeed gives match="parent::tei:gap/@reason",
which I take to be consistent with my usage.)

A note further down adds:
"If neither attribute (sc. @target, @match) is present, the expression
of certainty applies to the context of the certainty element itself,
i.e. its parent element." (For starters, this should say "certainty,
precision etc.".)

But I take this to mean that an element <precision/> should be
understood to have a default value of match=".." (rather than match="."
which might be more intuitive). This is not inconsistent, but perhaps
slightly confusing. (At the very least we should offer more examples here.)

In the examples at
<http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/CE.html#index-body.1_div.21_div.1_div.2_div.4>
(yuk!) however, we uniformly see values such as:

<certainty match="@who" locus="value" degree="0.5"/>
<certainty match="@resp" locus="value" degree="0.2"/>
etc.

Since the certainty element in these cases has neither who nor resp,
this usage seems to imply that the starting point for the XPath in
@match is the parent of the [certainty|precision] element that bears the
@match attribute.

On the one hand, it is probably simplest to say that the examples in CE
are wrong and we should just fix them by prefixing all of these @ with
../ (which is how I've been using this attribute).

On the other, however, if the starting point of the XPath were the
parent element rather than the [certainty|precision] element itself,
then it becomes less defensible to have some transcriptional elements
that cannot take certainty or precision as children, as I argued at the
last F2F. So I don't mind which way we go on this one. ;-)

Any thoughts?

Dr Gabriel BODARD
Researcher in Digital Epigraphy

Digital Humanities