[tei-council] Glines index page

David Sewell dsewell at virginia.edu
Sun Nov 25 20:48:27 EST 2012

One of the recommendations that came out of the Board's discussion of
the website earlier this month was for some formal usability studies to
be undertaken prior to any requests (to the TEI community and/or
third-party vendors) for proposals to contract for website migration.
I'm sure that any such studies would report that the status quo is not
optimal, from a user-friendliness point of view, and improved navigation
would be a sine qua non of any website redesign.

I wasn't part of the previous website design committee, but it's pretty
clear that the site navigation is confronting two competing needs: (1)
to provide an upfront overview of what the "TEI Guidelines" are in
general, and (2) provide ready access to the Guidelines themselves.

Need #1 is met by two pages within the OpenCMS framework:

1.1 Overview of "TEI Guidelines" (http://www.tei-c.org/Guidelines/)
1.2 Overview of "P5 Guidelines" (http://www.tei-c.org/Guidelines/P5/)

Need #2, qua P5, is met by two pages generated by the source release, as
noted by Martin:

2.1 a P5 general info page
(http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/index.html)
2.2 the formal P5 Guidlines Table of Contents
(http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/index-toc.html)

So the reasoning behind it all is clear, even if the implementation is
clunky.

It occurs to me that an interim fix might be to add, immediately below
the page headers for 1.1 and 1.2, a prominent link saying something like
"Go to the TEI P5 Guidelines Table of Contents", to help people who
assume that is what "the Guidelines" means.

David

On Fri, 23 Nov 2012, Martin Holmes wrote:

> I don't want to start a fight, or re-start an old one, or open old
> wounds. But I do want to say: I think what we have now is not... well,
> _optimal_. Am I the only one that feels this way? If so, of course I'll
> slink away to my burrow and never mention it again.
>
> Cheers,
> Martin
>
> On 12-11-23 01:59 PM, Lou Burnard wrote:
>> Yes, there was a design committee and Julia was on it. Much, very much,
>> blood was spilt as far as i recall, though not necessarily for that reason.
>>
>> Is it worth tinkering with this particular aspect, which has been like
>> this ever since the web site came into being in its present incarnation?
>> If/when the website moves from its current host we will have much more
>> significant changes to put in place.
>>

>> On 23/11/12 21:32, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
>>> I believe there was a design cttee and that Julia f was involved. But I may be be misrembering
>>> (Or "miser bearing" as the spell thing would have it)
>>>
>>> Carved in stone on my iPad

PO Box 400314, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4314 USA