[tei-council] whither HTML of Guidelines and @lang

James Cummings James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk
Fri Nov 23 08:11:26 EST 2012

On 23/11/12 12:23, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> i put it to you that "the web" community has no meaningful  standards in this area:-}

I couldn't possibly comment.

"To ease migration to and from XHTML, authors may specify an
attribute in no namespace with no prefix and with the literal
localname "xml:lang" on HTML elements in HTML documents, but such
attributes must only be specified if a lang attribute in no
namespace is also specified, and both attributes must have the
same value when compared in an ASCII case-insensitive manner."

I.e. they are abuse xml:lang to say the xml: part is *NOT* a
namespace!?!  I mean I know they borked the doctype and made
other silly decisions but I didn't think they were actually
saying xml: wasn't really a namespace in HTML5.

silly, silly, silly.

-James

Dr James Cummings, James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk