[tei-council] representing transliteration in @xml:lang (was Re: biblscope and imprint)

Piotr Bański bansp at o2.pl
Wed Nov 14 08:37:44 EST 2012

On 14/11/12 09:13, Lou Burnard wrote:
[...]
>> Alternatively, we simply remove @xml:lang entirely from this example in
>> the Guidelines!
>>

> I think that would be misleading, as well as bad practice.
>
> "ru-Latn" does the job of saying "this isn't English, despite the
> character set" which is a lot more use than saying just "ru" which is a
> lie.

Or maybe rather "this is Russian, but don't expect the Cyrillic", which
in this case amounts to roughly the same. Kevin is right that "ru" is
underspecification, but it's very wide, so wide as to imply the default
that isn't the case. "ru-Latn" is still underspecification, but much
narrower, and with some consequences for machine processing.

Commenting on this further in the Guidelines seems a matter of taste and
balance, possibly a footnote on the existence of many alternative
romanized transliterations might be quite useful.

  P.