[tei-council] biblscope and imprint

Kevin Hawkins kevin.s.hawkins at ultraslavonic.info
Mon Nov 5 09:29:48 EST 2012

That document is helpful.  What wasn't clear to me about BCP 47 is
whether you could only use a script subtag in combination with a
language subtag if they were listed in combination in the IANA registry
(as some are).  Whereas this W3C guide explicitly says you can only use
extended language subtags with certain languages, I see that it
explicitly says you can use a script subtag with any language when it's
not written in the script given for "suppress script".  And, as we see,
it even gives the examples of Russian "transcribed into the Latin script".

So if you encounter "ru-Latn", you're stuck figuring out which
transliteration scheme was used (or whether the author just invented one).

--Kevin