[tei-council] biblscope and imprint

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk
Sun Nov 4 07:52:52 EST 2012

The comment was just a note to myself while I was going through that
section and I will remove it before closing the ticket. However it does
raise some interesting issues, which I have now had the leisure to
investigate further.

Firstly the comment that using "ru" for Russian transliterated in Roman
characters is simply "underspecified" seems to me rather to miss the
point. If I see something in a Unicode document which says it has
xml:lang="ru" I expect to see proper Russian Unicode characters.

Secondly, even if I am prepared to accept Romanized versions of those
characters and figure out for myself what the Russian should have been,
this is not entirely easy. There are several different (Wikipedia lists
ten) possible Romanization schemes, which vary quite considerably. In
some, for example, the sequence "ye" stands for the Russian letter that
looks like a Roman "e"; in others this character is represented by "e",
unless it is iotated by a preceding soft sign. So generating a correct
Cyrillic version of this citation isn't easy, and neither is deciding
which scheme we're dealing with here!

Thirdly, this particular example is actually taken verbatim from a
rather elderly ISO standard on bibliographic reference (ISO 690, 1987).
  Hence we probably should not mess with its representation at all. (You
can see it cited as a example in the Wikipedia entry for ISO_690,
curiously enough). There is a new version of ISO 690 (from 2010) but I
don't have 140 swiss francs at my disposal to pay for a PDF download,
the libraries are all shut, and it's raining anyway ... so I can't see
whether or not this example has been updated to use what would
(presumably) be the current recommended transliteration scheme - ISO 9
(1995).

My guess, but I defer to the Russian expert in our midst, is that this
uses the now deprecated ISO/R:1968 but without access to the original,
it's hard to be sure, and without being sure I'd rather not try to
convert it into proper Russian.

All of which I suppose we can side-step cheerfully, by saying "ru-Latn",
even though this particular combination isn't actually proposed in
http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry, and even
though this won't help anyone who *does* want to see the original title
as it should have been presented!