[tei-council] @style /rend/rendition coexistence

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Fri Oct 5 14:35:32 EDT 2012

I think insofar as we can, we should mimic what HTML does. So in this case:

<foo rendition="#something" style="something else">

the rules in #something are first applied, and then the rules in @style
complement/override them. This means that any rule in @style overrides
any rule for the same property which has been defined in #something.

In the case of this:

<foo style="something else" rend="wibble">

I see no reason to outlaw it; there will be cases in which no property
exists in CSS (or whatever formal language is in use) is available to
cover a particular feature, so @rend can be used to specify it; since
there is no way of doing whatever-it-is in CSS, then there's no
requirement to specify formally how they interact, because they can't.
It would make no sense to do this:

<foo style="font-style: normal;" rend="italic">

but I don't think it's our job to try to prevent people creating
oxymoronic encodings.

On these:

 > -- What does "unification" mean if the expressions come from different
 > languages? (e.g FO and CSS)

In that specific case, FO uses CSS, so I'm not really clear on why you
would use both. But where such questions arise, they have to be dealt
with in encodingDesc, I think.

 > -- Where do we specify the language in which @style values are
expressed ?

There has to be an element in the header, presumably in <tagsDecl>.
Something like this:

although I'm not sure we want to go with the same potential confusion as
we've already got with <rendition> vs @rendition. Perhaps:

<styleDesc scheme="css">
[More detailed prose explanations go here.]
</styleDesc>

--
Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)